Setting up a Co-op

Arthur Ralfs arthur at mathbrane.ca
Thu Sep 20 15:47:28 EDT 2012

On 09/19/2012 04:50 PM, Malcolm Fitzgerald wrote:
> I'm wondering if GnuCash is the right choice.
>
> As background:
> We are a small not-for-profit fruit and vege co-op
> We are based in Australia
> We have a book-keeper who has said that the choice of software is up to us.
>
> The co-op collects annual fees from members
> The co-op sells groceries. The big dream is to be a retail grocery outlet but at present we offer a mixed fruit-vege box
> The co-op purchases from distributors and producers.
> There are no wages or employees, at this stage it is all volunteers.
>
> I know that GnuCash is not a POS but we do need something to tracks our accounts.
>
> The list we are considering are:
>
> free - GnuCash <http://www.gnucash.org>
>
> $99 - Nominal <http://www.nominal.com.au>
>
> $189 - QuickBooks <http://home.quicken.com.au/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?pcode=22>
>
> $239 - MYOB FirstEdge <http://myob.com.au/business/products-1258090781431>
>
> $450 - MoneyWorks Express <http://www.cognito.co.nz/products/?range>
>

> All comments welcome,
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

Since nobody else seems to be answering I'll give you my 2 cents worth.
  I've been involved with a couple of natural food co-ops similar I
think to what you're talking about.  I use gnucash for personal finances
and some minor small business stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to try it
for a cooperative.

Arthur Ralfs