need a stock report for 1 fiscal year

Anna's unattended mail anna.morris-1okt59qe at cool.fr.nf
Sun Sep 23 10:56:26 EDT 2012

How are people generating stock reports for tax purposes?  This is
potentially quite tricky, and gnucash does not appear to have an
obvious way to do this.  In fact, I looks like gnucash does not handle
the simple cases either.

Suppose a stock has a history like this:

  May 2005 buy  100 AAPL
  Aug 2005 buy   50 AAPL
  Feb 2006 sell  80 AAPL
  Mar 2006 sell  70 AAPL
  Nov 2010 buy   40 AAPL
  Nov 2010 buy   20 AAPL
  Jun 2011 sell  60 AAPL

If I need a report for fiscal year 2011, the tool must see that there
was a sale in 2011, and then go back in history to find the relevant
buys.  It must be smart enough to neglect the first 4 transactions
because the balance goes back to zero in 2006.  In this case, the tool
should at least be good enough to realize that there is no choice
about which buys to associate with the sale.  And in cases where there
is a choice, the user should be able to designate whether to minimize
or maximize the declared profit.

In the end, I expect to get a report that looks like this:

  Nov 2010 buy   40 AAPL
  Nov 2010 buy   20 AAPL
  Jun 2011 sell  60 AAPL

Of course, with the prices included.