interest- income, or expense?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 24 01:44:11 EDT 2012

You most likely need separate accounts for each interest account--at least that is how it's worked best for me. The point is that interest you earn is *Income* and needs to be tracked as such, in the income branch. Interest you pay out is an *Expense* and needs to be tracked as such.

In order to track your tax liabilities, you will want to have them in separate accounts. I personally keep individual interest payee/payers in different accounts. It makes it much easier for me to track the different streams when tax time rolls around. My bank reports the interest it paid me, and I have an account to match with it.

My rule is: if I want to keep track of something, separate it out. I think it's easier to aggregate than untangle.

As for the currency issue, I will defer to others who use them. My understanding is that you would have to have separate account trees for each currency, but I don't believe you'd need two accounts for each payee/payer, unless said entity has a habit of handling multiple currencies (paying you interest in dollars and Euros, say).

David