My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is interested)

Les lelliott5 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 09:31:03 EDT 2012

On 09/26/2012 04:10 PM, Algeorge wrote:
> Hi I have amended description on video to read:
> /ADDENDUM. I have been advised I had some errors in video review:
> 1..my pronunciation of GNUcash is wrong.
> 2..GNUcash REPORTS one user says: Most of the reports in GnuCash DO include
> a filter for the dates. When you have the report open, click the "gear" icon
> to see the report options. Most reports allow you to specify a date range.
> ME: my version does not show the gear icon.
> 3..GNUcash to make a custom report is much more complex than Skrooge which
> has a wizard-like reporting. A report can be generated from a search as well
> in Skrooge.
> 3..GNUcash does not accept standards keys. For example when you have a tab
> open the usual way to close it would be Ctrl-F4, but you must use the close
> button! This inconsistency is consistent through GNUcash and IMHO a bad
> decision from the programmers as its very easy to implement a user friendly
> interface, which would make a real difference to user experience.
> Alistair./
> Derek. The point of the video is to demonstrate what most new users would
> expect from an accounting program <u>mainly with the user interface</u>.
> Unfortunately sometimes programmers ideas can be fixated on how <u>they</u>
> consider the user should work, not on how the user would find it easiest.
> This is an area of GNUcash and I have commented on several times lately and
> in the past, and as an ex programmer myself I know just how easy it is to
> change the user interface.
>
> By adding a formula option in the splits similar to Skrooge as shown in
> video, and tweaking the interface would make a big difference in user
> experience IMHO.
> Kind regards,
> Alistair George.
>

> --
Many years ago, I sold computerized accounting systems and made a lot of
commissions by focusing on the comparative advantages of my services vs
the competition.

There has been a great deal of time and energy put into doing this
video, which shows comparative advantages.  Yet I am confused by this
effort.  You seem to have used Skrooge for some time and like it.  But,
for some reason, you would prefer to use GC.  However, you seem to want
to make GC to be like Skrooge.  They are two different approaches to
doing personal accounting.  If you like the approach that Skrooge takes,
why change?

Then, you make the statement:

Derek. The point of the video is to demonstrate what most new users would
expect from an accounting program <u>mainly with the user interface</u>.

How do you know what most new users expect?

I am just trying to understand.  Perhaps I am just too dense.

Regards,
Les