My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is interested)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 27 09:33:38 EDT 2012

Hi,

Algeorge <agm.alistairgg at mailnull.com> writes:

> Hi I have amended description on video to read:
> /ADDENDUM. I have been advised I had some errors in video review:
> 1..my pronunciation of GNUcash is wrong.

Personally I don't think there is a "correct" way to pronounce it.  I
personally believe both are "correct".  Toe-May-Toe, Toe-Mah-Toe..  ;)

> 2..GNUcash REPORTS one user says: Most of the reports in GnuCash DO include
> a filter for the dates. When you have the report open, click the "gear" icon
> to see the report options. Most reports allow you to specify a date range.
> ME: my version does not show the gear icon.

There is most definitely a Report Options toolbar button.  It's there,
in all versions of GnuCash.  Maybe it looks like a wrench over a piece
of paper in your version?

> 3..GNUcash does not accept standards keys. For example when you have a tab
> open the usual way to close it would be Ctrl-F4, but you must use the close
> button! This inconsistency is consistent through GNUcash and IMHO a bad
> decision from the programmers as its very easy to implement a user friendly
> interface, which would make a real difference to user experience.
> Alistair./

Define "standard" here.  Gnome-Terminal uses Shift-Control-Q to close a
window.  Firefox uses Control-W.  Evolution uses Control-W.  I don't
know anything that uses Control-F4 on Linux.

> Derek. The point of the video is to demonstrate what most new users would
> expect from an accounting program <u>mainly with the user interface</u>.
> Unfortunately sometimes programmers ideas can be fixated on how <u>they</u>
> consider the user should work, not on how the user would find it easiest.
> This is an area of GNUcash and I have commented on several times lately and
> in the past, and as an ex programmer myself I know just how easy it is to
> change the user interface.

Patches are always welcome.

> By adding a formula option in the splits similar to Skrooge as shown in
> video, and tweaking the interface would make a big difference in user
> experience IMHO.
> Kind regards,
> Alistair George.

Sorry, I'm not going watch the video.  Can you explain this "formula
option" and how it is different or improved from GnuCash's current
formula evaluation?