My comparison between GNUcash and Skrooge (if anyone is interested)

Algeorge agm.alistairgg at mailnull.com
Thu Sep 27 17:31:31 EDT 2012

Hi thanks for the succinct reply. I guessed that some might be a tad annoyed,
but you should not be, the review is an expression of one persons view - not
an exact synopsis.
You are quite correct in suggesting that involvement in the project rather
than commenting would make sense and 30 years ago I would already be in
boots and all, but my programming ran out about 10 years ago due to health
issues.  I have over the years contributed in the public domain however. EG
google alistair george software to see some of my stuff if you like.

Indeed Ctrl-W works and is a fine substitute for Ctrl-F4 which is used from
a Windows base and several programs in Linux eg Firefox, Thunderbird etc.
What Im getting at, is many of your adoptees will be ex-windows users who
'expect' things to happen in a certain way. If your interface is systems
compliant with Linux GUI, and these methods dont align with windows then a
mouseover close button hint for the keystroke combo would be a big help. I
used to put hints everywhere in my software which could be disabled later
within options. Helps newbies get over the learning curve in a big way.

Doing reports there seems no gear icon visible V2.4.2.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5358qe8w9fa932e
<http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5358qe8w9fa932e>
But I am aware that reports can be adjusted very slightly from the Edit
menu, but for users not to be able to customise their reports and save them
is a problem.

/You seem to have used Skrooge for some time and like it.  But,
for some reason, you would prefer to use GC.  However, you seem to want
to make GC to be like Skrooge.  They are two different approaches to
doing personal accounting.  If you like the approach that Skrooge takes,
why change? /
As mentioned in the review, Skrooge is not good for multi-o/s. When one
version wont work with another version thats not good. I omitted to mention
that Skrooge is slow. Conversely GNUc is fast and works very well with
Win/Mac/Linux without any great ado. I used GNUcash several years ago and
really liked it, but found data entry too cumbersome FOR ME so after using
it for a couple of months found Skrooge and have used that since. I came
back to GNUcash recently because I had liked it, and was hoping that over
the years that improvements would have made it better than before.
I have tried almost every accounting program that is freeware/public domain
(my oops there too) and personally believe that Skrooge and GNUcash are the
best of the bunch.

/How do you know what most new users expect? /
Point taken. From a Windows GUI perspective I should have said.

/Sorry, I'm not going watch the video.  Can you explain this "formula
option" and how it is different or improved from GnuCash's current
formula evaluation? /
In Skrooge splits you can enter a formula which works off the total amount
entered eg =total*.25  and =total*.75

/This is true and could be considered a missing feature in GnuCash. I'm
not sure if this is something that can easily be implemented. I would
fear not, because at first sight it would require changes straight down
into the file format and all the core accounting logic. /
You already have a lookup function with Description field, whats to stop
same lookup applying a temporary formula to the splits, so that after the
new total is entered the splits match the ratio of previous entry? EG you
are getting your formula from the previous entries ratios.

The video is my point of view/individual expressed as coming from a Windows
platform. Dont take offence, rather glean what usefulness you can out of it.

The reason for my OP was to ensure accuracy in my video, which currently is
not. Accordingly, I will edit the video to make it more accurate.
Kind regards,
Alistair.