GNU cash slow to load

Jamestk davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Apr 1 14:50:37 EDT 2013

Sorry, please ignore the last part regarding email notification.

Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 10:14:48 -0700
From: ml-node+s1415818n4660871h82 at n4.nabble.com
To: davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk
Subject: Re: GNU cash slow to load

	Hello all,

Reading the above discuss piqued my interest, so I decided to run a quick test. My results follow.

GnuCash loads in 13.04 sec. This is the program file only, absent any data, reports, etc.

Data file only -                                Open                Save

XML (14.2 Mb; no compression):      10.07 sec          3.08 sec

XML (1.0 Mb; compression on):        10.66                3.46

SQLite3 (9.9 Mb):                              9.9                 not required

I used the same data file in the tests. The difference in size in due to compression. SQLite saves each transaction when entered in the GnuCash register, therefore saves are "not required".

Comments: I use the SQLite3 backend because changes are saved to the file immediately. (I have not used MySQL so I cannot comment.) The only downside to the SQLite3 format is that incremental backup files are not automatically produced by the program. This can be good or bad, depending on your point of view. On one hand, your default folder is not filled with "....gnucash.20130401095037.gnucash" backup files. On the other hand, you must remember to manually create backup files. I prefer the latter method.

Probst! Paul

x86-P4 with hyperthreading

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

GnuCash 2.4.11 (from r22264M)

		http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/GNU-cash-slow-to-load-tp4660791p4660871.html

		To unsubscribe from GNU cash slow to load, click here.

		NAML