Simple question

Ian Konen iankonen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 07:51:07 EDT 2013

I think the tutorial has a good example of how you would account for
purchasing a house with a mortgage as well as a "loan to a friend" you
might want to look at just to see the accounts and splits involved.  In
your case, though, you don't need to worry about the "purchase" transition
that creates the loan's opening balance (and the asset's).  Like other
accounts, you'll just have to start the loan from Equity:opening balances
at its balance on the date you are starting your bookkeeping.  You don't
need the "matching asset" to account for a loan that you are still paying
off.  A typical payment will be a split transaction with the total payment
coming from a checking account, the "principal portion" goes towards the
liability:loan and the "interest portion" goes to an expense:interest
account.  If you DID have an asset that you had purchased with the loan
(like a house you bought with a mortgage) that would be it's own account
going forward and would typically not be part of most transactions except
the initial purchase and a possible later resale.