Continuing saga - multi currencies - now unrealized gain disappeared

whwtan whwtan at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 4 22:47:33 EDT 2013

For bunk3m's case, just like him I would have expected him to have
unrealised losses given the CAD has been growing stronger against the USD.
Am I mistaken?

At the risk of opening a new can of worms, I'd like to find out exactly
what does the option "Use Trading Accounts" do.

GnuCash is the only solution out there in the world who takes multi
currency in such a special manner I'm blown away; It allows you to
decide which currency you would like to base yourself any time. [Even
all the most popular commercial software prioritise IAS/GAAP and make it
such that they lock you into one base currency]

However trying to understand how it works sorta breaks my head in. LOL

I understand from my own simple approach that if I paid for a product in
USD using my AUD account on 1st Apr and the price is set, I should have
zero trading when balanced out.
However, if I owned USD and AUD, I would be getting different trading
depending on the day and depending on when I value my money. [Since
currencies change in value against each other by the day]

Trading is used for unrealized differences between the currencies. I
treat it as if you have bought shares in the stock market and the price
fluctuates by the day but as long as you did not sell them everything is
simply unrealised gains and losses.

William