Questions About Investment Accounts

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Apr 5 09:43:12 EDT 2013

I want to track the changes in an investment account that I have with a
broker. I don't want to track individual stocks or transactions, just the
net end of the month changes. I don't receive any income from this account;
all the cash it generates stays in the fund.

I got as far as creating the Asset:investment account and an entry in
Equity:opening balances to set up the account as of 1/113. The statement
for Jan 31 has these entries
Beginning Value                xxxxxx
Additions and Withdrawals         (xx)
Income                          xxxxx
Taxes, Fees, and Expenses        0.00
Change in Investment value      xxxxx
Ending Value                   xxxxxx

How do I enter these values into gnucash? I don't think I should have an
expense account for Additions and Withdrawals or an Income account for
Income, as these transactions never leave this account. I am really just
interested in see the net change in this account on my balance sheet, and
not have the expenses and income go through my income statement. Would all
the offsetting entries be to some equity account? I think I am really
missing an important concept here.

Thanks,

Mark