is a gnucash API available?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 5 12:21:17 EDT 2013

Nomen Nescio <nobody at dizum.com> writes:

> Guus Bonnema <gbonnema at xs4all.nl> writes:
>
>> As far as I can see, there is no export that gives me all the data. There is a
>> report where I can "cut and paste", but I dont get clean data that way.
>
> Exporting is generally solved -- it's lack of decent importing options
> that makes gnucash painful.

Please define "decent"?  GnuCash's importers work pretty well for QIF,
OFX, HBCI, and MT940.  The CSV importer is a little weaker.

> To export, use "Ledger CLI".  This tool knows how to read gnucash files,
> and format the data in CSV, or however you like, and doesn't require you
> to work in some obscure language like python or perl.
>
> It has been mentioned here before.. search for "ledger".

Note that for this to work:

a) you have to use XML,
b) I'm pretty sure your XML cannot be compressed.
c) this code is not maintained by the gnucash team so it may be delayed
   in being able to read new data formats as new releases of gnucash get
   deployed.