Questions About Investment Accounts

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Apr 5 17:28:58 EDT 2013

Ian,

How does this look as a way to handle this account. Upon further
investigation, I discovered that this account is a mutual fund with a cash
balance, equities, and bonds, and that my mom is able, and has been,
writing checks against this account. (I have had to take over my mom's
financial activities as she is currently under hospice care, so I am slowly
discovering what she has been doing these past 87 years....). I will call
her brokerage account Mcapital.

To set it up:
Asset:Investments:MCapital = beginning value as of 1/1/13
Equity:Opening balances = beginning value as of 1/1/13

>From the January statement:

Asset:Investments:MCapital = $90 (a check she wrote to her hair dresser -
the amount under Additions and Withdrawls)
Expenses:Hair Styling = $90

Asset:Investments:MCapital = $121 (Income line from her statement - the
dividends reinvested into the account)
Income:Other Income:Mcapital - $121

Asset:Investments:MCapital  = $3,000 (the change in investment value line
in her statement)
Income:Other Income:Mcapital - $3,000

This leaves the value of the Mcapital the same as shown on her statement
for 1/31/13.

When I run an income/expenses report for my siblings, I will leave out the
Income:Other Income:Mcapital account. The balance sheet will reflect the
increase/decrease in the value of the fund, and the income/expenses will
show the financial activity of her primary checking account. I think adding
the income activity from Mcapital will be misleading because that income is
reflected on her balance sheet. However, this violates the fundamental
accounting equation, so what would you recommend?

Thanks for helping me think through these issues!!

Mark