how to split social security income?

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 20:45:33 EDT 2013

I'm not sure I understand.  I guess our ways of thinking how splits work
and how to enter data differ drastically.

It doesn't matter "where you start".  When you hit the "split" button, you
can add splits to the transaction in any order.  You can even delete the
split that's part of the current account.  Of course, if you do that, when
you save the transaction, it won't show up in the current account (but it
will show up in all the accounts involved in the split transaction).

In this particular case, I would probably start the transaction from the
checking account, since one way of thinking about it is that it's my
paycheck I'm depositing.  However, if I had my salary split between
multiple bank accounts, it might make sense to start from the Income:Salary
account.  But if I happen to be looking at the balance on my FSA when I
realize I haven't put in my latest paycheck, I might start the split there.
 Wherever is currently convenient.