Questions About Balance Sheet and Income Statement

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sun Apr 7 10:50:41 EDT 2013

James,

Thanks for the clarification. It is now beginning to make sense. I have a
transaction that relates to this issue and I am not sure if I entered it
correctly.

I started using gnucash just for my checkbook in 2011. I entered two months
of data to get a snapshot income statement. I then stopped using it until
Jan 2103. In order to reconcile the Jan 2013 statement I had to adjust the
balance in the checkbook on Dec 31, 2012 to match what was on the bank
statement. I did not want to enter all the past transactions in 2012. I
created a fake transaction like this to bring the checkbook register to the
right amount on Jan 1, 2013

Assets:Checkbook credit $X
Expenses: Adjustment debit $X

Should I have done this instead?

Assets:Checkbook credit $X
Equity: Opening Balance checkbook debit $X

It has a big impact on the retained earnings number.

Or, should I delete all the 2011 and 2012 transactions, the above
Adjustment to expense, and change the opening balance for the checkbook to
be the correct value for 12/31/12?

Thanks,

Mark