Investment income (was Re: Questions About Investment Accounts)

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 16:58:06 EDT 2013

On 4/7/2013 11:10 PM, Ian Konen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 12:04 PM, David Carlson
> <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>wrote:

>> purchased 100 shares at $10 / share (with a balancing transaction from a
>> cash account).  Then I put some manual entries in the price editor so that
>> it was later valued $15/share.  Generating a balance sheet at that point in
>> time has a line called "Unealized Gains" worth $500, as well as a line for
>> the security with shares and total current value (after I set the commodity
>> option to use "nearest price").  So far so good. But then if I sell those
>> stocks at $20 / share and enter a $2000 transfer back to the cash account,
>> the balance sheet at a later time still labels that $1000 profit as
>> "unrealized gains" even though it has quite clearly been realized at that
>> point, and the calculation is (correctly IMO) using the share price of the
>> sale transaction instead of the value from the price editor ($15/share) at
>> the time.  If I generate a profit and loss statement covering that entire
>> period, it shows 0 income/profi!
>>  t!
>>>   whatsoever even though there was a real $1000 profit.
>> assumed that GnuCash would automagically create a realized gains income
>> account and fill it to reflect stock price changes at sale, but perhaps
>> that's too complicated to code.
>> Ian,
>> In that test file run a trial balance, being sure to include the dates
>> of the security transactions.  You will probably find that it is out of
>> balance because you did not include the lines in the closing
>> transaction(s) to reduce the cost basis to zero and apply the "realized"
>> gain to an income account.  If you do that, the report should not show
>> any unrealized gains.
>>
>> David C
>>

> Ahhh...yes, you are correct I had not entered the sale correctly.  Despite
> having just recommended reading about stocks in the tutorial to Mark, I had
> not yet read the "selling shares" section of the tutorial myself ;-).  The
> transaction still looks funny to me when done correctly, but I think I
> understand why it's needed.
>
> It does bring up another behavior that probably should be considered a bug:
>  Having two splits for an account in the same transaction causes the
> transaction to be displayed twice in the register.  It seems like it's only
> a display bug and doesn't double count the effect of the transaction (I'm
> sure it's because the code deciding what transactions to show in the
> register is just looking at splits and not checking for redundant listings
> of the same transaction), but it looks misleading.

The multiple display of one transaction that has multiple splits in the
same account is normal behavior in the register journal view.  If you
are in a window where you can change the register view to the basic
ledger view where splits are hidden, those extra lines disappear.

There are aspects of the program that I have not learned yet myself.
That is why I consider every day to be a new adventure.

David C