? Corruption of reconciliation history

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 05:26:02 EDT 2013

On 9 Apr 2013, at 09:53, Maf. King <maf at standbyevents.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue 9 April 13 08:37:31 Michael Hendry wrote:
> > I last reconciled my current account on 15th February, against a statement
> > dated 5th February.
> >
> > Today I went to reconcile the same account against a statement dated 5th
> > March, but the "Reconcile Information" window says:
> >
> > Statement Date: 05/02/2013 (UK date format)
> > Starting Balance £4667.77
> > Ending Balance £3533.65
> >
> > This Starting Balance is incorrect for either the 5/02/2013 or the
> > 05/03/2013 statement.
> >
> > I opened the backup copy of the 15th February, and went to reconcile the
> > account, and got the following in the "Reconcile Information" window:
> >
> > Statement Date: 05/03/2013
> > Starting Balance £3158.20
> > Ending Balance £4750.47
> >
> > These figures are what I expected to see when I went to reconcile the
> > current file today.
> >
> > The current GnuCash file seems to have the 5th Feb statement's transactions
> > marked as reconciled (I haven't checked absolutely every one against the
> > paper statement), and it looks as though whatever method GnuCash uses to
> > keep track of past reconciliations has failed here.
> >
> > I really don't want to have to go back to the 15 Feb backup, and re-enter
> > everything!
> >
> > Is there some way of fixing this without going back to the 15 Feb backup and
> > re-entering everything from then on?
> >
> > Michael
>

> Hi Michael,
>
> The advice that I have seen given on the list is that you should just ignore the starting balance, set the ending balance to match what is on your march statement and see if you can make the account reconcile.
>
> If you can't get the reconcile to work, then you have to do some digging.  Most likely, you have altered or deleted a transaction that was already reconciled, and that may take some finding....
>
> HTH,
> Maf.

Thanks, Maf.

I've done some investigation, and found that a GnuCash file saved on 19/2/13 has the correct Reconcile information (Statement Date: 05/03/2013, as above), and all subsequent GnuCash files say 05/02/2013.

I'm not sure what is stored in all the LOG files, and whether it is possible to get a listing of all transactions which were recorded (i.e. entered using GnuCash) after a certain date. If this is possible, I could start from the "last-known-good" file of 19/02/13, and re-enter all of these transactions (except the faulty one, if I can identify it), which would be much less of a chore than going through my cheque book stubs and credit card receipts to get back in step.

Michael