? Corruption of reconciliation history

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 05:27:30 EDT 2013

On 9 Apr 2013, at 19:45, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Unfortunately how you correct this depends upon what change happened.
>> OK. So if I overrule the Statement Date in the "Reconcile Information" window, this does no harm, and the "Starting Balance" figure is the real problem here.
>>
>>> If you just accidentally unreconciled the transaction (i.e., you changed
>>> the description or some other non-number) then it's an easy fix -- you
>>> run the reconcile and ignore the starting balance.  This unreconciled
>>> transaction will show up in the list and you just re-reconcile it.
>> Yes, I tried that, and didn't find any transaction which should have been marked as reconciled and hadn't been.
>>
>>> Alas, that's not as easy if you wound up changing the amount or deleting
>>> the transaction.  And yes, it is possible to change the amount without
>>> unreconciling the transaction!  Both cases will change the starting
>>> balance but not leave any traces in the list of unreconciled
>>> transactions once you get to the second stage of the reconcile process.
>>>
>>> Alas, the only way to fix this is to go through your history until you
>>> find the errant transaction.
>> This is what I feared! When you say "go through your history", is there a way of listing transactions that have taken place since a given date?

>>> I find it very odd that it would have the wrong date but also have those
>>> transaction marked as reconciled.  Are you using a SQL storage?
>> No, XML.
>>
>> I'm using GnuCash 2.4.11 on a late 2012 iMac 27" with OSX version 10.8.3, having previously used earlier versions on Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04.

>>> It depends what's broken.  Some things are easier to fix than others.
>>> The first thing I would recommend is Actions -> Reset Warnings…
>> I wasn't aware of having turned them off, but they're turned on now.
>>
>> [Incidentally, the word "reset" is open to ambiguity here. The usual convention is for an entity which is turned on to be regarded as "set", and when turned off to be "reset", but in this instance to "Reset Warnings" appears to be to turn them on.]
>>
>> Michael

>>> -derek
>>>
>>> --
>>>      Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>>>      Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>>>      warlord at MIT.EDU                        PGP key available

> So far in this discussion I have not seen whether you checked the
> running balance in the register view.  While the current balance changes
> often, the current register balance as of the previous reconcile date
> would only be different from the reconciled balance by the sum of the
> few transactions that had not cleared yet on that date.
> Thus the register balance for Feb 5 in your 'last good' file should be
> the same as in your 'current' file, or very close.  Looking further
> back, say to December 31, the register balance should be the same in
> both files unless the corruption is dated before that.  This sort of

You're absolutely right, David. I hadn't gone through the account checking the running balance, and doing so has allowed me to correct a couple of faulty transactions and restored sanity! By extraordinary coincidence, one of the offending transactions was dated 31/12/2012!

Many thanks to you, and to all the others on the list who've helped me keep a cool head and avoid trampling about causing even more damage.

Three cheers for the spirit of Open Source Software, and the philosophy of support that goes with it!

Michael