importing multiple accounts at once

dutch_tulips pbdoody at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 19:58:38 EDT 2013

I am very new to gnucash, and I'm hoping that somebody can give me some help
on importing transaction data from qif files.

I am writing my own scripts to take csv data and put it into qif files.  It
is pretty straightforward for me to create a qif file for a single account
and use the import wizard to tell gnucash which account it's for.  However,
I have many financial accounts at many different institutions.  Performing
this process for each and every account is very time consuming.  I would
like to pile all the transactions into one massive qif file, but I can't
figure out how to format the qif file to specify which account the
transactions belong to.  Note that I have no problem specifying the
'Transfer' account for each transaction.  I just can't figure out how to
specify the originating account.

The gnucash import wizard suggests this should be possible.  Every time I
import a qif file, it says "The QIF file that you just loaded appears to
contain transactions for just one account, but the file does not specify a
name for that account."

This tells me it is possible to 1) include transactions from more than one
account in a single qif file, and 2) specify the gnucash account I am
importing without specifically typing it in during the next step of the
import wizard.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.