Can't delete a transaction

solitone solitone at mail.com
Wed Apr 10 10:20:02 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I found the following very old message, which describes the exact same
issue I was facing till few minutes ago:
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-August/021452.html

Apparently the problem was not solved at the time, but here I'm
proposing a solution that might be helpful to others, in case they face
it again.

In my case, this issue came out when I tried to delete a transaction. A
popup prompted me to confirm I really wanted to delete the transaction.
I checked the "remember and not ask again" option, but I mistakenly
pressed the "cancel" button.

>From that time on, when I pressed the delete button to try and delete a
transaction, nothing happened--no feedback, no changes, as the original
poster reported. Still, deleting a split was possible, again another
thing in common with the OP.

I then looked at the gconf xml configuration files, and I found the file
<MY_WINDOWS7_HOME>/.gconf/apps/gnucash/general/warnings/permanent/%gconf.xml,
whose content was:

<gconf>
        <entry name="register_delete_trans" mtime="1365588217"
type="int" value="-6">
        </entry>
</gconf>

Ah ah...! I googled "register_delete_trans", and found out its default
value is "0". So I edited that value in the xml file, and now I can
again effectively delete transactions.

It seems like I managed to make gnucash permanently remember I didn't
want to delete a transaction when I pressed the delete button--that's
odd behaviour! Anyhow, overwriting that parameter value to its default
solved the issue.

Cheers,
  Davide