Advice: Invoice paid to Invoice acct or to bank acct?

carta cartagram at outlook.com
Thu Apr 11 15:11:57 EDT 2013

I began using Gnucash several weeks ago. I'm not sure how to handle invoice
payments so that the proper Transfer is used by the software.

Here's my workflow: When I receive client payment for their invoice, I open
the actual invoice and choose "Pay Invoice" from the menu. The payment is
reflected in the Invoices window and is also added to my business checking
account. So far, so good.

The problem is that my business checking account displays "Invoice" as the
Transfer. I was hoping to make it display the actual Income account, like
"Income:Graphic Services" or "Income:Web Design."

I tried changing the Transfer from "Invoice" to "Income:Map," for example.
That wiped out the Invoice entry for the invoice, showing it as unpaid there
and in the Reports:Business:Receivable Aging. That won't work for me.

I suppose if "Invoice" is the default and only choice for a Transfer, then
I'll have to use the memo field to specify where the income came from
(Graphic Service, Web Design, etc.).

Can anyone tell me how I should be handling paid invoices? Thank you!