GC 2.4.10 installed under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS doesn't run

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Apr 21 21:57:04 EDT 2013

At Mon, 22 Apr 2013 00:49:17 +0200 "Frank H. Ellenberger" <frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 21.04.2013 22:10, schrieb rsbrux:
> > It is quite possible that this is due to some unfulfilled dependency, as I
> > have installed GC on a Ubuntu Server to which I have added gnome-shell,
> > which also doesn't work.
> > The error message I get (trying to start GC from console) is:
> > "gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at
> > configure time."
> > The message is the same with or without the "--nofile" argument.  No other
>
> FYI: That is no error message but just a warning about some flag, which
> was unused by your package maintainer.

Something I noticed in the OP's message: "trying to start GC from console" -
if he means the the "black" virtual tty console, that is just never going to
work on *any* distro, any version. You have to start GnuCash in an X11
environment. And yes, that would include some flavor of XTerm -- you don't
need a desktop or a launcher. Note using slogin (from a XTerm!) would work,
but you do need X11 tunneling enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (on the server
side) and /etc/ssh/ssh_config OR with the -X or -Y flags on the client side.
On xauth needs to be installed on the server side.