CreateSpace / Royalties / Automatic Splitting?

greyproc greyproc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 16:24:33 EDT 2013

> If your question is: Given a transaction that says to credit my checking
> account $100, can I split that $100 into, e.g., $50 to
> Expenses:Groceries and $50 to Expenses:Home Goods, the answer is no, you

Yes, that's exactly what I meant (except, of course, splitting to an author
and an illustrator).

> cannot do that automatically, and OFX does not support Split
> Transactions.  The only import technology that supports that would be
> QIF, but you would need to form the QIF file itself to declare the
> transaction as a split transaction.  GnuCash cannot auto-split a
> transaction.

Thank you for the answer.

I was hoping that GnuCash could 'learn' the split transactions the same way
it learns the top level ones (ie, the way the csv import is able to
'remember' what I did for a similar transaction --- an awesome feature which
is really working well for me).

Every item of deposit (each book sold) is split into smaller payments
(royalties), and I had wanted to show this as a split on each transaction.
(ie $100 comes in (Asset:Bank), showing 10 transactions of $10, and for
each, $4.50 goes to author (Liabilities:Royalties:Author), $4.50 to
illustrator (Liabilities:Royalties:Illustrator), and $1 to company
(Equity:Revenue)...)

Of course, now, it seems I'm being overly pedantic, and the right way (or,
at least, the way I'm going to do it) is to just do one transaction at the
end of each quarter, to disburse the money appropriately to the 3 accounts
(from Equity:Revenue:Book_Sales).