Split credit card transaction

jcard21 xxxxxxx jcard21+gnucash at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 12:45:38 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Elmer Schartow <elmobud at tm.net> wrote:

> jcard21....  many thanks for your prompt reply,....  but,... you gotta be kidding.  Your graphic of your credit card transaction leaves some things to be desired for clueless newbies like me.  (...and I note from links on your graphics page there are plenty others like me....)  I've tried numerous times to set up a transaction using your graphic, but no luck yet.
>
> First, from the file title at the top,... and from the active tab,... it appears you're working in the credit card file, not a checking account.  ?????  How does this tie into a checking account???
>
> Next, my version shows the row (Present, Future, Cleared, Reconciled, Projected Minimum) under the tabs at the very bottom of my screen  Your row doesn't show the "Present" category.   Appears we're not on "the same page."  (Version?)  Also,  Line 1 in the green shows "Description" column heading only.  My line also shows a "Transfer" column heading
>
> Next, Re: line 2 in the green: shows "Notes."  How do I come by that?  I like to be able to add notes like Groceries, gifts, gas, etc. to credit card transactions, and even some check transactions (Like I could in MoneyCounts.)
>
> Next, You show no check number in your example.  ???  Another indication you're not working in a checking account??
>
> Next, The first line in the yellow doesn't even give a valid entry.  In a checking account there would be an entry, not just an amount.  The same amount shows in the same col. further down.  How did you make that happen????
>
> I understand the entries  such as Expenses:Food:Groceries, etc., but do not understand how that relates to the checkbook and check number????
>
> Can you provide me with a step by step explanation of how to handle a credit card entry, or a link to someplace that provides that???
>
> Thanks again for your prompt answer.  THis is driving me NUTS!!!!

IMPORTANT: Make sure you REPLY TO ALL to include the gnucash-user list.

Elmer, let's take one step at a time, because we may be speaking apple
vs oranges. :-)

What exactly are you trying to do:

1) Making a credit card purchase at a store, restaurant, online, etc?
There would be no check numbers involved with this type of
transaction.

or

2) Making a payment from your checking account to to credit card
account (a.k.a. a transfer)? This would involve a check number.

I'll be happy to help you if you can calm down and be more specific.

--
jcard21