How to update Finance::Quote on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 06:47:03 EDT 2013

To answer my own question, I found gnc-fq-update thanks to John Rails's posts
in  this thread
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Installing-activeperl-for-automatic-retrieval-of-quotes-tp4656798p4656799.html>
.
Instead of executing it from my download directory as he suggested, I opted
to copy it into the /usr/bin directory:

with the rest of the gnc-fq-* scripts before running it.
It took a while to run and produced an incredible flood of text output,
which included many error messages.
Nonetheless, the last message was:

Running gnc-fq-check confirmed that F::Q 1.18 (previously 1.17) was now
installed, and *Get Quotes" in the GnuCash Price Editor now returns currency
quotes in addition to stock quotes.