Finance::QuoteHist with GnuCash?

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 10:32:58 EDT 2013

While researching how to update Finance::Quotes, I came across
Finance::QuoteHist
<http://www.mojotoad.com/sisk/projects/Finance-QuoteHist/>  , which is
available in both the Ubuntu repository and  on CPAN
<http://search.cpan.org/dist/Finance-QuoteHist/>
This thread
<http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Price-Quotes-td1415854.html>   from
2005 describes an attempt to integrate F::QH seamlessly with GC by modifying
"finance-quote-helper" (which seems to have meanwhile become
"gnc-fq-helper") but the attempt appears to have been abandoned.
This  wiki page <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/get_prices>   from 2011
describes a method of manually importing data from  F::QH into GC, but as
someone lacking the "knowledge of perl and python" mentioned, it seems quite
cumbersome to me.
As someone with accounts in different currencies and based on my previous
experience with Quicken, I thought that it would be helpful to have a
complete set of historical quotes, in particular for net worth reports and
currency conversions.
Has anyone gone any further with this?
If not, are there reasons why it might not be as desirable as it seems at
first blush, e.g. blowing up the size of the GC file?