GnuCash Android Account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Aug 12 13:17:07 EDT 2013

Tom Balazs <tom123online at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm using GnuCash Android. I export from that and then import to GnuCash
> desktop. But I have a problem with accounts
> GnuCash doesn't know what account to import the transactions to and I don't
> see how to set that in GnuCash Android.
>
> If I buy cookies should I enter that in Miscellaneous or would it be better
> to somehow enter it in BigBank Checking, but them how does it get marked as
> a Miscellaneous expense?
>
> I guess it's the "Generic Import Transaction Matcher" that gets stuck.

I think you're missing the basic concepts of double-entry accounting.  A
transaction moves money from one place to another, your purchase of
cookies touches BOTH your BigBank Checking *AND* your Miscellaneous
expenses (or Expenses:Food, or :Groceries, or even :Cookies, if you feel
like that).

I don't use the Android app, so I cannot tell you what it can or cannot
do.  But in the OFX Importer you tie the OFX import to a specific Asset
or Liability Account (e.g. your BigBank Checking) and then each
transaction you map to an Income/Expense Account.  To assign this in the
importer you need to double-click on the appropriate column at the right
side of each transaction.