Questions about OFX import

Niranjan Rao nhrdls at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 20:24:22 EDT 2013

Greetings,

This question is mostly applies to investment accounts. OFX imports for
checking/credit card accounts do work fine for me.

When I download ofx transactions for investment accounts, gnucash
prompts me with the message to the effect "Please select or create an
appropriate GnuCash account for Stock account....".

This becomes a long, very error prone as I have to navigate through
account hierarchy (everything is minimized when the screen comes up) to
find the right account where transaction should go.

Questions:

1. In the select account screen, is it possible to show the accounts
which match the "type/symbol" of the account in different color? When we
create the account for security, it has the security/currency
information. OFX file has symbol and name. If gnucash can match the
symbol and/or name to the accounts and highlight those accounts, it will
be much easier to identify the target account.

2. On the same screen, is it possible to display the base account where
the ofx transaction started from in different color and at least that
part of the tree hierarchy expanded. I have, for example, "My 401K" as
investment account and securities I have invested, as child account of
this.

3. I read a thread about Gnucash "learning" from ofx transactions few
days back. Will gnucash eventually start remembering how I imported this
or do I need to keep doing this every time?

Regards,

Niranjan