Requesting Help

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 07:17:11 EDT 2013

On 8/15/2013 4:16 PM, Srini Vasan wrote:
> Hello:
>
> My laptop died and I have a new machine.  I have been able to restore all
> my files.
>
> I need help with the following:
>
> 1.  How do I run the GNUcash software?  Previously it was pinned to the
> taskbar, but now I am not able to find an 'executable'.
>
> 2.  In the event I need the application downloaded again (from the GNU
> site), how do I retain use of the data from my past use?
>
> 3.  How do I determine what version I was running previously?
>
> Notes:
>
>>  I have a very vanilla installation - using XML for data
>>  Previously installed on Windows 7, now on Windows 7 as well
>>  I originally downloaded GNU Cash in March or 2013, around the 17th

As a fellow user, I will take a stab at answering your questions.
1.  I do not understand this question at all, but I suspect that the
answer would be along the line of 'same as you are doing for all the
other software you have'.
2.  This is not an issue.  When you download the program it will be able
to open any existing data file created on any other machine, even if it
was on a different operating system.
3. The version you had previously is not critical, unless it was
extremely (several years) old.  Version compatibility is more likely to
be an issue if a very old version of GnuCash tries to open a file that
has been touched by a very recent version.  If your note about starting
with GnuCash earlier this year on a Windows 7 machine is correct, you
almost certainly had version 2.4 something, and GnuCash is still in the
2.4 range, until sometime next year at the earliest, and even then newer
program versions will be able to open older data files..

David C