Transaction register question

Jack Halem jack at dlxcompany.com
Sat Aug 17 12:42:30 EDT 2013

I have a few things to add.
I may have to leave the user list because you guys are flooding my
"private" mail box with useless email.
You Windows and Mac guys have Quickbooks
Us Linux users don't have that option.
Linux is free and you "should" be using GNU Cash on Linux.
FYI - Google uses Linux and does not allow their direct employees to use
Windows computers.
I feel if it is good enough for Google, if is good enough for all of us.

GNU Cash and the Linux Operating System installs on Ubuntu and Linux
Mint Distributions as if it was installed at the factory when the
computer was built. Honestly trying to use any other operating system
seems completely pointless - especially knowing that Linux is more
stable. Referring to the Linux Distributions I have mentioned, you can
easily install Drop Box for free and have your GNU Cash data backed up
on the Internet - for free. I feel that trying to use anything other
than Linux for using the free program GNU Cash is like trying to
reinvent the wheel.  Governments all over the world have already
converted their usage to Linux, and the list keeps growing.
Last Month, The Space Station, converted their Windows laptop to Linux.
Both Ubuntu and Linux Mint have free live help available using Xchat
which is also preinstalled

I have been attempting to use GNU Cash for over years and failed
miserably. I purchased the book available over a year ago, and still
failed.  However the third time was a charm. The book instructs you to
remove the automatic save feature.
I also discovered that having a "working" file for GNU Cash saved me
from the pain of reinstalling GNU Cash and entering all my data all over
again.
I use my "work" or what some call "WIP (Work In Progress) GNU Cash file
to learn and train myself, and enter all new data. This has eliminated
my need to make new user questions. Once I am "completely satisfied"
with my "working" file for GNU Cash, I replace my legacy (backed up)
file of GNU Cash.

I found that every question  was found in either in the GNU Cash help
sections, GNU Cash manual, or in the book I purchased. I purchased
"Gnucash 2.4 Small Business Accounting". This books also covers other
areas of usage of GNU Cash.
Since GNU Cash utilized basic accounting practices, becoming accustomed
using GNU cash is easily handled "if" the user is willing to do his or
her part in learning accounting principles.

I feel it is selfish if users want everyone else to do their homework. I
also discovered that finding the answers I needed by myself was
extremely useful in my ongoing usage and progress with GNU Cash. This
has also resulted in my making my accounting efforts simpler and more
efficient.

I can't emphasize enough that doing my part has been one of the best
assets in becoming proficient with GNU Cash.
Once I accepted that responsibility, and became a patient user of GNU
Cash, everything else seemed to fall into place.

Jack