Converting names to UTF-8 in authors

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Aug 17 18:28:20 EDT 2013

On Aug 17, 2013, at 11:29 AM, Tae Wong <seotaewong40 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Debian packaging for GnuCash is out of date so the Debian GnuCash tree
> has the authors and documenters files.
>
> On the trac viewer, the encoding for the authors file uses garbage
> characters (ISO Latin-1 to UTF-8).
>
> There is Mantas Kriaučiūnas, the Lithuanian translator of AbiWord and GnuCash.
>
> The last name uses a different spelling and is written as Kriauciunas.
> It also applies to AbiWord's data.

There's nothing we can do about Debian being up to date. You can often get more up-to-date packages from them by using the "testing" or "unstable" versions of their distro. Ditto, obviously, for AbiWord.

The encoding seems to be a trac problem: Mantas Kriaučiūnas's name is encoded correctly in po/lt.po, and displays correctly in Github. It isn't in the AUTHORS file, though, in any encoding -- neither are the other contributors of the Lithuanian translation.

> (Please stop doing a CC so you are not a GnuCash user.)

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but we're quite insistent that all mailing list messages should be copied to the list.

Regards,
John Ralls