Reconciled Account Using Wrong Date

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 08:41:04 EDT 2013

On 8/26/2013 6:50 AM, jcard21 xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
>> From the Savings account, unreconcile one transaction.
>> Reconcile again for the date you wish, you should have one transaction
>> to reconcile....
>> Save again.
> This only corrects the Accounts List/tab CheckingAccount
> reconcile-date AND the one txn reconcile-date, but your suggestion
> points me to the complete solution, namely...
>
> - From the CheckingAccount Register, unreconcile EACH txn
> "CheckingAccount" split for that wrong reconcile-date (2013-08-24). In
> my case, I had 3 deposits and 5 checks... a very nice, small number.
>
> - From the CheckingAccount Register, re-reconcile the CheckingAccount
> using the correct closing date of 2013-08-23, keeping whatever ending
> balance the reconcile dialog showed this time (NOT using the bank's
> 2013-08-23 statement closing balance).
>
> Liz, thank you very much!!! This only took me less than 10 minutes to
> correct. It took me longer to type this reply! :-)
>
> I'm going to keep a prominent note of how we fixed this, just in case
> it happens to me again.
>
> Thanks, again!

I had a problem in a certain month earlier this year where the
remembered reconcile date/interval for several accounts mysteriously
slipped about a week forward, so instead of being on the 20th, it wanted
to reconcile to the 26th or 27th (If I recall correctly).  It seemed to
be per-account, because I found some that I don't do regularly like I
should a lot later.  I thought that it was odd at the time, but it seems
to not be repeating.  I am now watching the reconcile date like a hawk
when I reconcile.

Another thing to watch for is whether the time and date used by GnuCash
are actually following your local time zone or perhaps GMT instead.  In
my experience (Release 2.4.13 in Windows 7) the current release does
seem to use local time, but early 2.5. series releases seemed to use
GMT.  That specifically applied to the scheduled transaction assistant.
Of course that is only visible if you work on the file at certain times
of the day and affects some users more often than others. I filed a bug
report about that.

If you can correlate your experience to a real bug, it is worth while to
file a bug report, because it can affect other users too.

David C