QIF Import: "Transaction date: Unrecognized or inconsistent format"

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Aug 26 14:57:56 EDT 2013

Hi,

On Mon, August 26, 2013 2:43 pm, Mark wrote:
> Hi. I can't seem to import a QIF file. GnuCash is throwing this error
> every time I try the import --
>
>  >    Transaction date: Unrecognized or inconsistent format
>
> and I can't figure out what's wrong with the date format in the QIF file.
>
> I've tried two different date formats: MM/DD/YYYY and MM/DD'YY (the
> format shown in the quote below), and both throw the error.
>
> I'm actually generating the QIF from a CSV file, using the OpenOffice
> add-on CALC2QIF. BBedit tells me that the generated QIF file's encoding
> is UTF-8, no BOM.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated. Here is the QIF:

I see nothing wrong with this QIF, and indeed your sample file imports
just fine for me.

I would suggest using MM/DD/YYYY instead of MM/DD'YY.  However, this
particular error tends to happen if you have one entry that is wrong.
E.g. if you have 08/01/2013 and then 13/08/2013..

[snip]

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745