Financial Review Assistance

Jack Halem jack at dlxcompany.com
Thu Aug 29 16:57:40 EDT 2013

Hi Hilary,
I discovered how to utilize GNU Cash by myself.
I tried for several years utilize GNU Cash and failed miserably.
I was frustrated and angry.
Then I used the following approach and realized the good things about
GNU Cash - plus I became a patient new user - I am still learning.
First I highly recommend that you use a Current Linux distributionas
your operating system.
The current distributions of Ubuntu or what I highly recommend Linux
Mint Mate edition allows simple installation of acurrent version of GNU
Cash.
GNU Cash not only is easy to install in the recommended Linux
Distributions I mentioned, it operates as if it came with the computer -
like it was there all the time, just waiting to be usedby you.
*Secondly, any goo**d bookkeeper will easily see just how **ordinary the
layout of GNU Cash**is*.
GNU Cash follows practical bookkeeping practices.
Also, if a bookkeeper is a good one they already know these principles
and I discovered more helpful information.
The business book for GNU Cash by Ashok Ramachandran is very helpful.
The book not only gives direct help, it also teaches you the basic
bookkeeping principles.
Having the book by my side was extremely helpful.
I used the book and the help contained in GNU Cash to answer every
question and/or problem I had.
The book instructs you to turn off the automatic save feature - this
prevents you saving you mistakes and having to start all over again.
_/Edit - Preferences - General t/__/hen set to zero./_

I am a very small business andmyself like people in business want
"someone else" to do the work.
I discovered in using GNU Cash, doing it myself was the best answer -
and one must be patient.
Without patience, I was doomed for failure.
Another great hit was when I saved my work into a WIP (Work In Progress)
file of GNU Cash.
I then continued to do my learning using the WIP GNU Cash file.
_When I was satisfied with my progress, did I save my WIP GNU Cash file
into my permanent GNU Cash file_.
This eliminated my having to start over again, which I had done so many
times in the past.
I simply ended up with two GNU Cash files.
One on my desktop and another located in my home folder.
I just copy the desktop file onto other file, and I back up the second file.
Since I am still learning I use my desktop file for all mywork.
Once I am 100% certain that my desktop file of GNU Cash is OK, I then
copy that file onto the one that I back up.
_I can't emphasize enough how much easier it is to use GNU Cash, on__ce
I learned to be patient and realize that individ__uals were spending
their time for free to__support and improve the program_.
Your needs are easily handled in GNU Cash - patience is the answer.
Since GNU Cash is Open Source and free to use - your bookkeeper and
other interested parties can all share your WIP file and you can assist
each other via Internet.
*I can't emphasize enough that patience and being practical minded **was
the biggest asset for me in getting to **appreciate and utilize **GNU Cash*.
Yes my overall progress was slow - over two years - but again, once I
started working "with" and "not against" the program, things began to
fall into place.
I learned the hard way - I hope you can take the easy way.
Jack Halem.

.
//