Is there any way I can customise/move columns in an Account Register just like you can do so in the Account Tab Display?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Dec 11 13:16:31 EST 2013

James Martin wrote:

> On this thread Derek Atkins explained that the column order is
> hard-coded.
> I've spent several hours looking for it in the various source code and
> dOxygen docs.
>
> I would appreciate knowing where, in the source files,  I can change
> the hard coded option.    I don't need flexibility once that is
> done.    I just need the    debit and credit columns swapped.
>
> I realize it means re-compiling - I'm not a programmer as such - but
> this kind of hopefully simple 'debug' style change I can usually do.
>
> [ reason for doing it - both my online banking accounts use the
> reverse column order to GNUCASH - I prefer to not go through gyration
> of printing out / exporting spreadsheet, custom report etc. ]

As long as you realize that the "reverse column order" you are seeing in
the statement the bank is sending you is NOT reverse order. The bank is
sending you debits and credits as they would appear in THEIR books, not
YOUR books. What is an asset in your bank account from your perspective
(a debit in your books) is a liability of the bank, they owe this money
to you, hence a credit in their books.

Michael