Windows 7 to Ubuntu

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 03:12:22 EST 2013

On 13 Dec 2013, at 07:35, Jamestk <davidjamestk at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I am considering moving over to Ubuntu and wanted to explore how easy it was
> to migrate GNU cash from Win 7.

As far as I know, there is no difference between the structure of the YourAccount.gnucash file in Windows and the corresponding file in Ubuntu.

It should simply be a matter of installing GC on your Ubuntu computer, copying the most recent YourAccount.gnucash file into a convenient directory, and using File=>Open in GC.

I’m not sure about transfer of your preferences between the two operating systems, and you’d have to make arrangements to copy special reports across, but if you haven’t been too ambitious in personalising your GC installation in W7, the transition should be smooth.

(I’ve moved in a different direction, from Ubuntu to Mac, without much trouble).

Michael