Backup Files

Steve butterandsalt at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 21:58:04 EST 2013

fyi, I do the following (this is on a PC, Windows 7):

1. I use SugarSync, to automatically sync my gnucash data files, to another
computer.  So I always have two copies in 2 separate locations. It syncs
them the instant I save and exit out of Gnucash.  Works perfect, I've never
had a problem.

2. I also have another backup folder location on Google Drive that is NOT
automatically synced (reason: I want to make sure that if I should ever sync
bad data, that I have a recent backup copy in a separate location--that's
never happened to me, just paranoid).  Every 3 days I go into my Google
Drive folder, and manually run a batch file (that I created) that copies all
recent Gnucash data files to this separate backup location.  I then manually
run a second batch file (that I also created) that deletes all Gnucash data
files that are more than 10 days old in that location. Running those 2 batch
files, takes about 30 seconds of my time.  It's a "to do" on my calendar.

3. Periodically I go into my regular Gnucash directory (the one that
SugarSync syncs), and run a batch file (yes, that I created) that
automatically deletes all files more than 3 days old.  Of course the
deletions are automatically synced by SugarSync on my other computer.

4. And once a month I'm backing up all of my data, onto an external hard
drive.