losing data

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Dec 24 10:19:28 EST 2013

On Tue 24 December 13 17:04:33 Chris Bester wrote:
> Hi Maf
> Thank you for your very comprehensive reply.  I will have to sit down and
> study it very carefully.  But I have another question.  I have asked this
> before and received various answers and suggestions.  Every month, and at
> the end of my financial year, I present my committee with a Balance Sheet
> and other financial statements.
> However, from the start of the new financial year I have to submit financial
> statements every month, but with figures starting from zero.  I realize
> that in computerized accounting you do not need to end off your year and
> start a new year as you can call up any figure in any report by entering
> your own starting date and ending date, but not with your Balance sheet.
> You Balance sheet has to have your closing banking or equity balance as an
> opening balance in the new year and all expense and income accounts must
> start with zero balances.  In Gucash you can determine starting dates and
> ending dates for all reports except the Balance Sheet.  You cannot run your
> Balance sheet forever with accumulating figures.
> Do you have an answer to this one?
>
> Season's  Greetings to you to.  Hope you have a wonderful Xmas.
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

The Balance sheet can only make sense if it is run to a specific date.  There
are X assets and Y liabilities on whatever date.

I think you need possibly something like the Income Statement report if you
need to report changes in time for assets etc.

You could run 2 balance sheets and put them side-by-side to compare last year
with current year (see multi column report), which is how my company books end
up being reported, after some data manipulation and fomatting / layout by the
accountant (not actually in GC, but starting from my exported GC reports)

HTH,
Maf.