losing data

Chris Bester chrisbester at cybersmart.co.za
Fri Dec 27 03:30:16 EST 2013

Hi Maf
Hope you had a good Xmas.
On the subject of balance sheets.  I agree that a balance sheet only makes sense when it is run to a specific date, however, it also only makes sense when it starts at a specific date.  A balance  sheet should reflect the "condition" of your business for a specific financial year having started with carried over asset and liability balances from the previous year and zeroed income and expense accounts.  You cannot have a balance sheet, for a financial year, with an opening balance of two or three years ago.  You must have a new opening balance at the beginning of every financial year. Programs like; Pastel, Brilliant, Quickbooks etc., automatically resets all accounts at the beginning of the new financial year and carries ending balances over as opening balances.

I can use "Income Statements" , but then I will have to create a Balance Sheet on an Excel spread sheet.  Or I have to create a new company in Gnucash for every new financial year..

If I click on "Multi Column Reports" I get a blank sheet.  Could you please elaborate on this?

I sincerely appreciate your help thus far.

Chris