Adding Content to Invoices

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 26 09:40:11 EST 2013

Hi,

Doran Auctions <eire1975 at gmail.com> writes:

> I just started using Gnucash and I've hit a snag.  We charge a buyer's
> premium of 10% on all sales. This premium is also subject to sales tax, so
> it needs to be added to an invoice before the tax is calculated.  For
> example:
>
> 1 Widget sold a $5.00 plus 10% buyer's premium plus 6% sales tax.  Can I
> edit or somehow add a column to our invoices that would allow me to include
> the buyer's premium.  I thought about adding it on at the end, but it needs
> to be added to each item.
>
> If this sounds weird, we're an auction house and a buyer's premium is
> customary in our line of business.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend you create a Tax Table that includes both the buyer's
premium and the sales tax as two Tax Table Entries.  Then mark each item
in your Invoice as Taxable and assign the Tax Table.

If the 6% sales tax is on top of the 10% buyer's premium then you'll
need to set the tax rate to 6.6% (6% + 6% of 10% = .6%) to account for
the added 10%.  However if the premium is NOT included then you can just
use the 10% and 6% directly.

When you print the invoice you can list out the individual "Taxes"
individually.

Unfortunately there is no way to add a new column for your use case.