Preconfigured Reports

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Dec 28 04:37:30 EST 2013

On Saturday 28 December 2013 09:52:52 John Gowing wrote:
> Hi Geert
>
> Ah I see.
>
> I have been looking at the features on the 2.5 series with some
> excitement. I use some of the business features, and credit notes is
> certainly a welcome addition, and many of the other new features look
> very interesting
>
> My Current production GNU Cash is 2.4.10 on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.  How
> can I install GC2.5x alongside 2.4.x on the same system without them
> interfering with each other, so I can take a look at these new
> feastures? Or would I need to use a separate system?

It is possible to install two gnucash versions alongside each other, but I don't expect the
Ubuntu package management system can be used for that. Unless someone created a special
package for gnucash 2.5.x that can be installed independently of the installed gnucash 2.4. I'm
not familiar enough with the Ubuntu ecosystem to know where to point you to.

The alternative method is to build and install gnucash yourself. In that case you can specify a
different installation prefix (the default being /usr) and install the self-built version next to the
official one. If you need more help on self-building, you should probably subscribe to the
gnucash-devel mailing list. It's not a topic for gnucash-user.

The third option is indeed using a separate system. But depending on package availability of
gnucash 2.5.x for Ubuntu 12.04, you may still need to compile it yourself.

In any case, I hope you will enjoy the new version. A lot of effort was put into it by many people.

Geert