Batch/scheduled transactions

PK fourteenone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 12:14:12 EST 2013

I'm new to gnucash and have 3 questions.
1) I'm trying to set up what I would call a 'manually run batch
transaction.' I get paid biweekly, but most bills are monthly, so for the
majority of the year the first paycheck in the month goes towards some
subset of the bills and the second paycheck goes towards the other subset.
The scheduled transactions and splits seem to be close to what I want, but
I'm not sure it's the best way. If paydays were on the 1st/15th, then the
scheduled transactions would be perfect, but since it's biweekly, twice a
year a wrench is thrown into the schedule. I'd like to have three
'scheduled' transactions or batch transactions defined (one for the first
payday, one for the second payday, and one for the extra one that happens
twice a year), and ideally, I'd have an option to "manually run this
transaction/batch" depending on what payday it is. Right now I set the
schedule frequency to be 'none' and when I want to run it I change it to
frequency 'once', set the date and hit OK and it adds it. The issue I've
had so far is forgetting to change it back to frequency 'none' and saving
after adjusting something and it runs the whole thing again. Is there a
better way to do this?

2) Within each of those three batches described above, I have a single
transaction that is split like this:
Payday deposit -> Assets:Checking:_Remaining -> (IN: $100.00)
Payday deposit -> Income:Salary -> (OUT: $100.00)
TV Setaside -> Assets:Checking:TV -> (IN: $15.00)
TV Setaside -> Assets:Checking_Remaining -> (OUT:$15.00)
Elec Setaside -> Assets:Checking:Electricity -> (IN: $20.00)
Elec Setaside -> Assets:Checking:_Remaining -> (OUT: $20.00)
etc

So at the end of it all, Assets:Checking is the actual account with
'subaccounts' that each have money set aside for when that bill is due and
Assets:Checking:_Remaining is what's leftover from the paycheck. Is this
the appropriate way to handle/use 'subaccounts'? Should Assets:Checking be
marked as a 'placeholder' or not?

3) In 2.6 I'm not able to create scheduled transactions. When I enter a
split, it clears the whole line when I hit enter. I did manage to get two
lines entered at one point, but when I went to save it says "The Scheduled
Transaction Editor cannot not automatically balance this transaction." Is
this a bug or known issue in 2.6? 2.4.13 seems to be fine.

Thanks,
PK

------