Year end category reporting

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 2 10:33:32 EST 2013

On 2/2/2013 6:05 AM, Scumbuster wrote:
> Thanks very much...this appears to be what I am looking for.
>
> Question, though -- in quicken I was able to select all my accounts and
> their children levels and do one big printout.....
>
> When I tried that in gnucash ,even though I selected "children accounts",
> some accounts showed up as "0".....for instance, "Tax" , for me , has
> multiple types of taxes...state sales tax, etc.....but even though there is
> a dollar amount in each, the report shows "zero".  I used the max number of
> levels shown (6) and selected " children".....
>
> Is there a limit on how many levels and accounts can be shown at once?

Sorry, my mail client put this message into the middle of the thread, so
I didn't see it right away.

Selecting accounts gets tricky sometimes.  The select children button
only works for children that would be visible when you scroll up or down
the list as you are currently viewing it.  At the top of the accounts
window there is a selector for Account display depth.  You may need to
set that to a higher number to work with your chart of accounts before
hitting select children.  For the Cash flow report this selects the
accounts that I would call your wallet.  Then the report shows 'comes in
from' and 'goes out to' for your selected wallet.  For the default, the
report chooses the accounts listed at the top of the report.  If you
spend from credit cards, for example, you would need to add those credit
cards to the selected accounts.

I hope this helps.

David C