I imagine I am looking at this wrongly.

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 2 20:56:25 EST 2013

I buy stuff on-line and some of it is taxable, some is not. Of the
taxable items, sometimes the vendor charges me the tax, and sometimes not.

What I have done is to have an expense account called something like
"State End Use Taxable" and I put all those things in there. Where I
already paid the tax, I put it in a better category.

Now I would really like to put the "State End Use Taxible" items into
two expense categories. For example of the other category I might have
"Computer Hardware", "Computer Software", "Movies".

I do not think I can do that directly, since if I could even put in a
transaction like that (split), if I put 100% into both categories it
would be unbalanced. And if Gnucash were so dumb (it is not) to allow
that, I would be double counting some expenses.

I guess for tax purposes, I should continue as I do now, putting the
appropriate things in the "State End Use Taxable" category. But how do I
then run a report showing how much I spent on Computer Software, or
Movies, etc.?