Issue with Online Banking and multiple accounts

trevan_gnucash at therichins.net trevan_gnucash at therichins.net
Sat Feb 2 22:45:00 EST 2013

   On 2/2/2013 7:50 PM, David Reiser wrote:

   On Feb 2, 2013, at 9:39 PM, [1]trevan_gnucash at therichins.net wrote:

     On 2/2/2013 7:02 PM, David Reiser wrote:

     On Feb 2, 2013, at 6:55 PM, [2]trevan_gnucash at therichins.net wrote:

     I'm trying to get Online Banking to work with my accounts.  I have
     two logins to the same bank (mine and my wife's).  I was able to add
     both the users to the AqBanking setup.  But when I went to retrieve
     the accounts, it combined the two.  In my login, I have 4 accounts
     (0001, 0007, 0050, 0135).  In my wife's login, she has 3 accounts
     (0001, 0007, 0050).  Since the account numbers are the same, it
     treats them as a single account, yet they are two distinct accounts.
      It doesn't seem to care about the logins.  Is there something I can
     do to fix this?
     I did find a work around.  I manually created the accounts and
     attached them to the correct user (I had to actually edit the config
     file because the "user" line was not being set).  I then started to
     import the transactions for my 0001 account.  That went perfectly.
     It asked me to select an account for all the transactions
     (Assets:Current Assets:His:Savings) and the transactions were
     imported correctly.  I then went to import my wife's 0001 account
     and it didn't ask me to select an account for all the transactions.
     Instead, it just assumed the it was mine (Assets:Current
     Assets:His:Savings).  It looks like it is confused by the fact that
     the bank routing number and account number are the same for both of
     us.  But shouldn't it care that it is from two different users?  I
     don't know how to work around this (besides manually doing the
     import myself).  Is this a bug or am I just doing it wrong?
     Thanks,
     Trevan

     I don't think you can fix it. But I'm confused -- the bank has
     multiple accounts with the same complete account number? That's odd.
     On the other hand, if the bank is just sending a subset of the
     complete number in the ofx file, then I believe they aren't
     following the ofx standard correctly.
     Part of the issue is that the user information is only used by
     aqbanking to log into the bank's servers. Gnucash doesn't care at
     all what your bank login information is. Aqbanking only passes to
     gnucash some or all of the information passed back from the bank in
      the ofx data stream. Your user information is not included in the
     data sent back from the bank.
     It is very unusual for the combination of Financial Institution +
     account number not to be unique. I have never heard of another case
     where two customers could have the same account number, but the
     accounts were separate. How can the bank tell whose transactions are
     whose?
     Dave
     --
     Dave Reiser
     [3]dbreiser at icloud.com

     I think that my bank is sending a partial part of the account
     number.  I have a longer account number (7 digits long) and then
     inside of this account, I have several "sub-accounts" (Checking,
     Savings, Credit Card).  These each have different 4 digit numbers
     (0001, 0050, etc).  These sub-account numbers are the same between
     my wife's account and my account, but the 7 digit number is
     different.  This is also our login id into the DirectConnect system.
      When I used the aqbanking system to grab the list of accounts, it
     just had the "sub-account" ids.  I've tried changing the account
     number to include the 7 digit number but I haven't been successful
     and I'm not sure if it will work.
     Thanks,
     Trevan

   It does sound like the bank isn't sending a unique (to the bank)
   account number to aqbanking. There's a section in the
   wiki [4]http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Setting_up_OFXDirectConnect_in_Gnu
   Cash_2 that deals with enabling the OFX log (near the bottom of the
   page) that gives some information on enabling the ofx log so you can
   find out exactly what the bank is sending to aqbanking. Remember not to
   leave the log enabled, because your login ID and password appear in
   plain text in the log.

   Dave

   --
   Dave Reiser
   [5]dbreiser at icloud.com

   I was able to get it on my mac.  The account numbers that are sent to
   and from my bank are the short 4 digit numbers.
   Trevan