Now I have to ask for help

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:02:57 EST 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Mike or Penny Novack
<stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:

>> Create an icon on your desktop that runs "gnucash --nofile"
>>
>>     I believe that the Last File Opened issue is handled by others by
>>     creating desktop shortcuts for GnuCash that explicitly name the
>>     data file to open. This has been discussed in the lists, and the
>>     techniques vary by operating system.
>>
>>     The list of files opened is maintained by the operating system;
>>     clearing it out can be done, has been discussed on the lists, and
>>     also varies by OS.
>>

> OK, I didn't imagine that this would be an operating system thing! (I don't
> think you actually* mean the operating system)

> * Each USER on the computer system would have gnucash opening just that
> user's files. Has to be data stored at the user level, not the operating
> system level.

Close enough to the operating system.  Gnucash uses Gtk, a
multi-operating system graphical user interface library.  Gtk provides
a service called "GtkRecentManager", which manages the tracking of
recently used files.  Gtk follows the conventions of individual
operating systems to manage the per-user storage of these settings.
On Posix sytems, this is typically in a dot-file or dot-directory in
the user's home directory.  I don't know where it is on Windows
systems (I know that some apps at least put it in the Registry, which
has a per-user section).

> I'm running Windows XP  (I have end users to support who would be very
> unhappy with a 'nix)
>
> step by step instructions and I'll give it a try

If no one gives you step-by-step instructions by tomorrow, I'll try to
do it from work.  I run Linux at home, so I can't work through the
steps to make sure they are accurate and detailed.  I'm sure the steps
are something like (1) Create a shortcut on the desktop to GnuCash (if
one doesn't exist); (2) Right-click on the shortcut, and select
"Properties".  (3) Find where in the properties dialog you specify the
command to execute with the shortcut.  (4) Modify that command from
"gnucash" to "gnucash --nofile". (5) Click on "Ok".

Actually, I'll not do it from work.  I run Windows 7 at work, and I
bet that while the steps I've outlined are correct, the details (where
in the properties dialog the command is specified) are different
between XP and 7.

Another thing you could do is create shortcuts on the desktop for the
GnuCash files themselves.  If you double-click the file, Windows will
open that file with GnuCash.  Double-clicking the the shortcut should
do the same thing.