Now I have to ask for help

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Feb 5 04:47:59 EST 2013

On 04-02-13 02:02, Buddha Buck wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Mike or Penny Novack
> <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:
>>> Create an icon on your desktop that runs "gnucash --nofile"
>>>
>>>      I believe that the Last File Opened issue is handled by others by
>>>      creating desktop shortcuts for GnuCash that explicitly name the
>>>      data file to open. This has been discussed in the lists, and the
>>>      techniques vary by operating system.
>>>
>>>      The list of files opened is maintained by the operating system;
>>>      clearing it out can be done, has been discussed on the lists, and
>>>      also varies by OS.
>>>
>> OK, I didn't imagine that this would be an operating system thing! (I don't
>> think you actually* mean the operating system)
>> * Each USER on the computer system would have gnucash opening just that
>> user's files. Has to be data stored at the user level, not the operating
>> system level.
> Close enough to the operating system.  Gnucash uses Gtk, a
> multi-operating system graphical user interface library.  Gtk provides
> a service called "GtkRecentManager", which manages the tracking of
> recently used files.  Gtk follows the conventions of individual
> operating systems to manage the per-user storage of these settings.
> On Posix sytems, this is typically in a dot-file or dot-directory in
> the user's home directory.  I don't know where it is on Windows
> systems (I know that some apps at least put it in the Registry, which
> has a per-user section).
Hi Buddha,

This is the first time I have heard of GtkRecentManager. I quickly
checked and found that GnuCash is (unfortunately) not using it. Instead
GnuCash has it's own custom code to manage recent files, directly
interfacing gconf.

I will keep the GtkRecentManager in mind. I think it would benefit us to
use it instead of or own code.
>> I'm running Windows XP  (I have end users to support who would be very
>> unhappy with a 'nix)
>>
>> step by step instructions and I'll give it a try
> If no one gives you step-by-step instructions by tomorrow, I'll try to
> do it from work.  I run Linux at home, so I can't work through the
> steps to make sure they are accurate and detailed.  I'm sure the steps
> are something like (1) Create a shortcut on the desktop to GnuCash (if
> one doesn't exist); (2) Right-click on the shortcut, and select
> "Properties".  (3) Find where in the properties dialog you specify the
> command to execute with the shortcut.  (4) Modify that command from
> "gnucash" to "gnucash --nofile". (5) Click on "Ok".
>
> Actually, I'll not do it from work.  I run Windows 7 at work, and I
> bet that while the steps I've outlined are correct, the details (where
> in the properties dialog the command is specified) are different
> between XP and 7.
>
> Another thing you could do is create shortcuts on the desktop for the
> GnuCash files themselves.  If you double-click the file, Windows will
> open that file with GnuCash.  Double-clicking the the shortcut should
> do the same thing.
I would have propsed the same two options.

Good luck!

Geert