Exchange Rate Dialog Box (was Question About Price DB)

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 5 22:07:08 EST 2013

On 2/5/2013 7:41 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2013, at 3:04 PM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> It sounds to me like you're using the exchange rate dialog to enter the price on a stock transaction.  This isn't what it is meant to be used for.  It would be better to enter these in a stock register where you can enter the number of shares, the price, and the total value directly in the register.  Or enter any two and let GnuCash calculate the third. I usually enter the number of shares and total value and let it calculate the price.
>>
> Using the exchange-rate dialog does work to set the price (though it works better to set the quantity) in a stock buy or sell transaction from the currency account, though the descriptions aren't right and that confuses some people. It would be better to have two dialog boxes, one for currency-currency transactions and one for currency-commodity transactions, with the right descriptions in each case. The backend logic works, so that part can stay the same.
>
> Having to switch to the commodity register for a stock buy or a dividend reinvestment would be a PITA.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I must admit that I never got my testing completely under control.
While it is good to know that the exchange-rate dialog can work if you
can figure out how to use it, I have also found that it is not nearly
the PITA that I expected to start from either the brokerage account with
children or the brokerage account without children if the transactions
are visible there and do a save, highlight another security-account
line, jump, edit, save, lather, rinse and repeat.  That procedure does
cause the stock transaction dialog  to reliably pop-up when needed. I
hope that Mike's changes will make the price for the stock transaction
edit date appear in the price DB as requested earlier.

Thanks for the comment.

David C