Upgrade / Migration Help: Win 2.2.9 -> Linux 2.4.10

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 7 12:59:45 EST 2013

Hi,

David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 2/6/2013 9:10 AM, Roger Day wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to migrate from GnuCash 2.2.9
>> on Windows to 2.4.10 on Linux (Ubuntu) and how would I do that?  If if
>> it's not possible then are there any other options?
>>
>> I have the .gnucash and other gnucash data files from the windows version
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>
> I am surprised that your question sat unanswered for so long.  Sorry
> about that.  All you have to do is go to the Download GnuCash page

You're appologizing for a 10-hour delay in responding?  *shrugs*

> <http://www.gnucash.org/download.phtml#distribution> and read the
> instructions.  It will open your current data file without any
> conversion, in fact the data file is the same in every OS and many users
> (myself included) switch back and forth  between computers with
> different OS's daily using the same data file.

Yep, all you need to do is File -> Open the file on the new system.
After that GnuCash will remember the location and re-open it on
subsequent times.

If you also copied your ~/.gnucash and ~/.gconf/.../gnucash directories
then it would also have saved any other state like open reports, saved
reports, etc.