Now I have to ask for help

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 7 13:16:19 EST 2013

On 2/7/2013 8:05 AM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

>> This is what the target of the shortcut looks like (in XP)

>> start gnucash-bin
>>

>> PS: As people can see by this, it's really still old MS-DOS underneath.
>>
> I spoke too soon! That's what it looked like on this old desktop
> (older gnucash version) but with the newer desktop versions I have
> ready to go on the laptops the target is just gnucash.exe  , no
> intermediate BAT file to edit. Hmmmm ----- OK, hopefully somebody here
> knows how to fix this. I have zero experience setting up a script for
> this environment but have for many others so my best guess is:
>
> a) Create a file (using notepad) named nofile.bat. The contents of
> this file would be a line either "RUN GNUCASH.EXE --nofile" or "START
> GNUCASH.EXE --nofile"
> b) Create a shortcut to this file. Named something like "gnucash nofile".
> c) I assume that file could live in the gnucash.bin directory as
> should cause no harm is nothing (existing) references it. Like where
> the start script is in the older versions.
>
> Is that the correct? Does somebody know whether the command should be
> "run" or "start"?
>
> Michael

In all Windows environments going back (I think) to Windows 3.42 or
thereabouts  all you have to do is open the folder containing the target
file, right click the file icon and select "Create Shortcut", then drag
the shortcut to your desktop or any other place except Trash (Well, that
works too).  Once you have done that, a left click on the shortcut opens
the file with the registered application or a right click gives a list
containing lots ot other choices.

David C