profit and loss report

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:57:40 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 6:18 AM, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> On 2/11/2013 9:23 PM, David T. wrote:
> > Ah, well then that's the issue.
> >
> > Regarding your other question (is 2.4.11 available for puppy), I am not
> much of a Linux user. However, I think you need to see what repository
> options the package manager (I gather it's called ppm) has. You  should be
> able to find a major repository (debian, etc.) with a 2.4.11 package in it,
> and tell ppm to install it. Or something like that.
> >

> > David
> >

> I was able to get 2.4.11 from Debian for Ubuntu 12.04 if that helps.
>
> David C

Trying to dissipate a little confusion (but likely causing more):

Debian and Ubuntu are different distros and not considered
binary-compatible (though Ubuntu is a Debian-derived distro so they use the
same package manager, called apt, and the source packages are very similar
.deb files). SO you may be able to download the Debian .deb packages
containing GnuCash binaries, but they would probably not run properly on an
Ubuntu or Puppy linux system.

I just read a little about Puppy linux, and it seems there are several
"flavors" (breeds?) so depending upon which type you have installed, your
sources could be binary-compatible with a particular version of Slackware
or Ubuntu. The most recent version of Ubuntu that Puppy is tied to is
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise," and the Precise repository contains GnuCash
2.4.10.

SO, IF you use the version of Puppy that is binary compatible with Ubuntu
Precise, you can get the latest version of GnuCash from
http://getdeb.net/-- Just tell the site you are running Ubuntu 12.04
Precise, and it will
offer binary packages that will work with your system.

If you're running the Slackware-compatible version of Puppy, you may have
to seek advice from a Slackware user. It's been many years since I
attempted Slackware.

OR --- you can always compile GnuCash yourself! It's probably easier than
trying to understand what I just wrote.